Guanajuato architecture is a visual feast of symmetrical and asymmetrical buildings. Each space in the Guanajuato historical center expresses various forms of Baroque art from the colonial period, which is found predominantly in the buildings of the Basilica of Our Lady of Guanajuato, the “Templo de San Diego” church, the Plaza de la Paz, the Municipal Government Palace, the Casa del Conde Rul, and the Legislative Palace.
There are also the Templos de La Compañía (Jesuit churches), built between 1745 and 1765, as well as La Valenciana church built between 1765 and 1768: prime examples of Mexico’s Churrigueresque architectural style. Other historic buildings in Guanajuato show off the city’s beautiful architecture and wealth, such as the Boca del Infierno, a vertiginous mineshaft descending almost 2,000 feet, with a 40-foot diameter.
Befitting its status as a world heritage zone, Guanajuato, Mexico, has many secrets to reveal: narrow alleys, churches, museums, and buildings with a mix of colors and symmetries. It is a city rich with history and legends. Located in the north of Mexico, Guanajuato translates to “the hilly place of frogs” in Tarascan. The first settlers in the area were the Chichimecs, who were followed by the Aztecs; in 1546, the Spanish arrived to mine the region’s gold and silver.
Guanajuato’s city streets are labyrinthine and reminiscent of the medieval quarters of Seville, Granada, or Fez. The town was founded in 1554 and, over the course of its long history, has borne witness to key moments in Mexico’s history and holds clues to the country’s past.