Zacatecas City is the capital of the State of Zacatecas located 613 km from Mexico City, by the federal highways 57 and 45.
Zacatecas, an early mining town was founded in 1546 after the discovery of silver.This early colonial town became only second to Mexico City during the colonization period in population and economic influence. The city reached its height in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Juan de Tolosa, Diego de Ibarra, Cristobal de Oñate and Baltazar Treviño de Bañuelos founded the noble city on 8th September 1546. Originally it carried the name “The Mines of The Zacatecas”, as it was the mines which disgorged fabulous wealth which enriched the Spanish crown. In 1585 it was named “The City of Our Lady of Zacatecas” by the King Felipe II; and He also gave its coat of arms.
In 1993 UNESCO, acknowledging city as a place of exceptional interest and universal value declared the city’s colonial core more, continuing to exhibit a rich majestic and stately air, as described by the poet Jerazano (Ramon Lopez Velarde) “… fiel a su espejo diario” (“…faithful to the daily mirror”).